- There are several tutorials that will tell you to add Gnome PPAs, these are no longer supported in 16.04 LTS as of 04/2017.
- This post assumes you’ll be using only Gnome, if you want to run both Unity and Gnome, choose “lightdm” as the display manager.
- Unity will be replaced by Gnome in 18.04
- Update packages
sudo apt update
- Install Gnome
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop -y
- Choose “gdm3” as the display manager when prompted
- After logon, you should be presented with your new Gnome desktop